http://www.merrybower.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/sponge_cake_lemon_zest.jpg 768 1024 Dunk http://www.merrybower.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Merrybower_Homestead_Header2.png Dunk2014-02-10 22:09:032014-09-10 11:57:54Sponge Cake with Lemon Zest and Raspberries
Yet another cakey delight from the kitchen, with a low-sugar option in the ingredients 🙂
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar (or half a cup of e.g. Splenda)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen raspberries (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 10-inch round cake tin or loaf tin.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a bowl, mix the olive oil with the milk and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, blend the sugar with the lemon zest. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat at medium speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the olive oil mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the raspberries on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.