I just have to go on record to day Boltardy beetroot are amazing. Here we are in April, and they are still happy in the ground from last year. Of course, we pickle them regularly, but it’s become a standing joke where recipes are concerned, as we’re adding them to almost every meal. “Just needs a bit more beetroot” is starting to wear a bit thin. As a suprise, Suz found this recipe on BBC’s Goodfood website, and I’m unashamedly adding it here as it’s a great recipe, the cake was fantastic!
Blitz-and-Bake Chocolate Cake
- 1 large cooked beetroot, abnout 175g in weight, roughly chopped
- 200g plain flour
- 100g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 100g dark chocolate (not too bitter) chopped into pieces
- crème fraîche or clotted cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Tip the beetroot into a food processor and blitz until chopped. Add a pinch of salt and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and chocolate. When completely mixed (you may need to scrape the sides down once or twice), add the oil in a steady stream, as if you were making mayonnaise.
- When all the oil has been added, stir in the chocolate, then tip the mix into a lined 900g loaf tin. Cook for 1hr until an inserted skewer comes out practically clean. Leave the loaf to cool on a rack. Serve in slices with the crème fraîche or clotted cream.